In Milan, in viale Montegrappa 16, the Westway Architects studio, founded by architects Luca Aureggi and Maurizio Condoluci, has designed a new residential and commercial complex on the perimeter of an old, demolished courtyard building of 1882, a project that seems the ideal link between past and present.
The main façade of the new building echoes the aesthetic canons of the 19th century one, but breaks its rigidity and immediately declares its contemporary nature by using glass to cover the two upper floors.
The courtyard of the new complex is divided horizontally, with a walkable covering, which separates the commercial area on the ground floor from the residential area on the upper floors of the different bodies in the complex. Two trees break through the courtyard covering and are elements of continuity between the different levels.
The architects echo the residential typology of popular housing built around a central courtyard, but transform the walkways from public to private external, inhabitable spaces, accessed through a door.
The greenery of these private spaces, together with that of the communal areas and the diversification of the courtyard covering (wood for the first three levels and stone for the upper levels) are the elements that the architects have chosen to bring a widespread visual and perceptive comfort to the building.
Design: Westway Architects (Luca Aureggi and Maurizio Condoluci)
Location: Milan, Italy
Images courtesy of Westway Architects, photo by Moreno Maggi