To create the new volume inside the Opéra, designed in 1875 by Charles Garnier, architect Odile Decq had to follow the strict legislation that protects historic buildings and find a compromise to respect the existing architecture that did not fall into mimicry, but underlined the contemporary nature of the project.
The new restaurant is located behind the pillars of the Eastern façade, with a sinuous façade entirely made of transparent glass.
The structure is not visible and the glass is supported by a steel structure anchored to the upper frames by iron bars 6 metres high.
In order to allow the restaurant to seat 90 diners, despite its reduced space, the mezzanine has been created as a continuous surface resting on slender columns placed behind the stone pillars and resembles a white cloud ? a clear allusion to the white veil of the famous phantom.
by Agnese Bifulco
Design: Odile Decq
Place: Paris, France
Images: courtesy of Odile Decq Architecte