Architect, urban planner and designer Angelo Mangiarotti (1921-2012) graduated from Politecnico di Milano in 1948. His long career included not only design work but teaching in numerous universities in Italy and, above all, abroad, including Chicago (1953-54), Hawaii (1970), Lausanne (1974) and Adelaide (1976).
After working in the US (where he met F. L. Wright
and van der Rohe
), he opened his own studio in Milan with Bruno Morassutti, active from 1955 to 1960.
At this time he designed homes and industrial buildings in Padua as well as design objects (sewing machines, clocks, furniture).
In 1965 Mangiarotti became one of the founders of ADI, Associazione per il Design Industriale (Association for Industrial Design).
Very much aware of the potential of different construction materials and techniques, Mangiarotti designed and built industrial buildings in Marcianise, Mestre and Monza (1962-’64); the Armitalia complex in Cinisello Balsamo (1968) and the Snaidero offices in Majano del Friuli (1978); and the headquarters of Internazionale Marmi e Macchine in Carrara (1993).
Over the years he worked with a number of important industrial companies (Cassina, Molteni, Pozzi & Verga, Skipper, Tisettanta), designing lamps, vases, and sculptures made of wood and porphyry.
Mangiarotti won several international awards and a Compasso d’oro in 1994. His name is primarily linked with the city of Milan, where he designed infrastructure for the railroad link under the city from the station of Milano Rogoredo (1982) to Porta Venezia and Repubblica (1992) and Rho Fiera Milano (2006).
His basic concepts of design and the keys to his thought are described in his 1987 book In nome dell’architettura (In the name of architecture).
He was awarded an honorary degree in Engineering from Munich University (1998) and in Industrial Design from Politecnico di Milano (2002).
Angelo Mangiarotti selected works and projects
- Rho Fiera Milano station, Milan (Italy), 2006
- Series of iron, marble and bronze sculptures, 1996-1999
- Underground railway stations of Milano Repubblica and Milano Venezia, Milan (Italy), 1983/1986
- Milano Certosa and Milano Rogoredo railway stations, Milan (Italy), 1982/1988
- Snaidero office building. Majano del Friuli, Udine (Italy), 1978
- Armitalia offices and plants. Cinisello Balsamo, Milan (Italy), 1968
- Saffo and Lesbo blown glass lamps for Artemide, 1966
- Fiera del Mare pavilion, Genoa (Italy), 1963
- 1962 residential building, Caserta (Italy), 1962
- Residential building, Via Quadronno, Milan (Italy), 1960
- Renovation of the interior of Villa Schwob (Le Corbusier). La Chaux de Fonds (Switzerland), 1959
- Homes in San Martino di Castrozza, Trento (Italy), 1957
Official web site