The new headquarters of Fondazione Giangiacomo Feltrinelli in Milan is the first building in Italy designed by Herzog & de Meuron. The new headquarters opened on December 13, 2016 and is unanimously recognised as playing an important urban role and providing a public service relaunching a part of the city, even though it was commissioned by a private client.
The building’s 12 linear km of archives make it one of Europe’s most important centres of documentation and research in the fields of the historic, political, economic and social sciences.
The project by architects Jacques Herzog and Pierre de Meuron has great urban value and a positive impact on the Porta Volta area, which had never been reconstructed after the 1943 bombing.
The ground floor contains the publishing group’s new bookshop and coffee shop, but it is not the only space open to the public. A multipurpose hall on the first floor is the true heart of the project, reflecting its intention: a space open to citizens offering a packed calendar of events. The two levels above it contain office space, while the top floor is occupied by a dramatic reading room.
Design: Herzog & De Meuron
Location: Viale Pasubio, Milan – Italy
Images courtesy of Fondazione Feltrinelli, photo by Filippo Romano