Foster Partners, Lenbachhaus Museum, Munich
Restaurants, Museums, Pavilions, Residences, Factories, Sport & Wellness,
Architecture firm Foster + Partners was appointed to restore and expand the Lenbachhaus Museum and the project was completed in May 2013.
The project by the Foster + Partners design team involved restoring the museum?s old wing and adding a new wing, mainly designed to exhibit the collection of works of the "Blue Rider" movement owned by the museum.
The main building was constructed in 1891 as a studio and home for the artist Franz von Lenbach, which was subsequently turned into a museum, with new extensions added throughout the 20th century.
Sir Norman Foster?s project redeveloped the museum as a whole, redefining circulation and peeling away the unnecessary historical accretion. Foster + Partners unified the different elements of the museum by adding a new pavilion. The project also involved creating new spaces for visitors (entrance, restaurant, terrace and more) as well as improving the energy performance and environmental sustainability of the museum buildings.
Project: Foster & Partners
Location: Lenbachhaus, Munich, Germany
Images courtesy of Lenbachhaus Museum