A store like a museum, an art gallery for amber jewellery: this is the concept behind Piuarch’s design for the first Amber&Art flagship store, located in the famous house of the merchant Antonov built in the historic centre of St. Petersburg by architect Domenico Adamini in 1824.
Amber jewellery is the true star of the stage and its warm hues determine the colour combinations and the choice of materials of refined elegance and craftsmanship. The architects create a fluid space where the boundaries between jewellery and art gallery are blurred. The space is organised into different halls connected through a corridor to the central hall, presenting amber jewellery and objects divided by type and working technique, from the simplest to the most valuable.
The central hall is a big semi-circular room where visitors may have an overall view of the different types of product presented in the individual exhibition halls. The corridor linking the exhibition halls and the VIP room looks like a true museum gallery in which the cross vaults of the original building have been recovered and items of jewellery are exhibited like precious works of art, in glass cases on black marble pedestals.
Design: Piuarch (Francesco Fresa, Germán Fuenmayor, Gino Garbellini e Monica Tricario)
Location: St Petersburg, Russia
Images courtesy of Piuarch