- Manuelle Gautrand
For Gautrand, the process of design requires the creative boldness to change the criteria we work with on the basis of our goals. As Alice Laguarda says in a critical text, Guatrand’s work explores the crisis of modernity, in which our society is divided between aspirations for the future and nostalgia for the past, operating in the direction of bold “disobedience”.
Manuelle Guatrand Architecture is now a practice including 20 architects working for public and private sector clients in France and abroad.
The studio’s best-known projects are in Paris and Lyon. It rose to international fame with the design for the Citroen C42 showroom on the Champs-Elysees in Paris (Exclusive Video Citroen C42), with a façade made up of clear modules standing out against the rigour of the surrounding nineteenth century buildings.
The project has won numerous awards and was shortlisted for the 2009 Mies van der Rohe Award and for the World Architecture Award at the World Architecture Festival in Spain.
Manuelle Gautrand was elected a member of the French Architecture Academy in 2005 and named Chevalier dans l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres by the French government in 2007. She has been a professor at the Ecole Spéciale d'Architecture and the Paris-Val-de-Seine school of architecture and a visiting professor in Karlsruhe, Madrid, Oslo, Riga, Vienna and Wrocław.
- Installation for the “Henri Labrouste” exhibition, Cité de l’Architecture et du Patrimoine, Paris (France), 2012
- Origami office building, Paris (France), 2011
- Le Monolithe building, Lyon (France), 2010
- Business Centre, Saint-Etienne (France), 2010
- Conversion of Gaite Lyrique theatre into a centre for the digital arts, Paris (France), 2010
- Façades on Chaengwattana shopping mall, Bangkok (Thailand), 2009
- Modern Art Museum, Lille (France), 2009
- Citroen C42 Showroom, Paris (France), 2007 - Video Citroen C42, a sparkling landmark by Manuelle Gautrand
- Solaris housing block, Rennes (France), 2006
- School building, Ecully (France), 1997
- Pedestrian bridge, Lyon (France), 1994
Related Articles: Manuelle Gautrand Architecture
most viewed architects
KAAN Architecten’s Siesegem crematorium, recently completed in Belgium, is a building dedicated...
PARK Associati planned the renovation of a building constructed in the early '80s in Milan’s...
In a site-specific exhibition installed throughout the Felleshus of the Nordic Embassies in Berlin,...