Due to the different meanings of its name (botanical graft or, in the field of medicine, transplant), GRAFT says it is a hybrid “of two genetically different cultures”, that form a new identity, a combination of the positive aspects of both, which “examines the implications for architecture”.
In the past decade the interdisciplinary practice has worked on urban planning, product and interior design, in addition to venturing into exhibition design, art installations and academic projects in the United States, Germany, China, United Arab Emirates, Russia, Georgia and Mexico.
GRAFT has in particular overseen numerous projects in the luxury services sector such as hotels, restaurants, clubs and bars. In Las Vegas, the practice also worked on interior design for well-known casinos, FIX restaurant (2003), Stack (2006) and Brand (2008), and also Wokalicious in Berlin (2010). All exceptionally striking projects with a sophisticated, modern use of materials and light effects.
Many housing complexes and dwellings have been built worldwide including the Birds Island project in Kuala Lumpur (2007) for 6 zero-energy homes which maximize and reduce energy consumption in the home.
Constructed in a futuristic shape, reminiscent of waves and harmoniously located in the local surroundings, the villa optimizes aspects related to ventilation, shade and thermal equilibrium.
Due to the growing awareness of increasingly sustainable design, "translating energy saving requirements into imaginative design solutions that are not only ecological and efficient", the house overturns "the traditional relationship between open and enclosed spaces, freeing them from the shackles of traditional walls. It is here that flora becomes part of the architecture by dividing part of the living areas, but the most innovative intervention is in the materials used. So while the external walls are glass, the internal walls were designed in a taut silicone fabric that creates fascinating shadows and patterns and, thanks to sliding structures, creates private areas in the home". (L. Sunsilmassi, Corriere.it)
GRAFT has participated in numerous competitions. Completed projects include Hotel Q, Berlin (2004), Radisson Blu Iveria Hotel, Tbilisi (2008), the Emperor in Beijing (2008) and Seezeitlodge Hotel & Spa, Bostalsee (2017).
The works and projects clearly reveal a “hybrid” design by combining local culture and the expertise of a contemporary and international style.
Of particular note is the Platoon Kunsthalle project in Berlin (2012), with B. Jiwon and Platoon Cultural Development, where 34 containers were used to build a hangar-like structure for music, street performances, food, video art, fashion and graphic events.
Seezeitlodge Hotel & Spa (2017) is a resort with 100 rooms and suites, in an over-12,000 sq.m. building immersed in nature and overlooking the lake and surrounding woodlands.
The structure blends into the surroundings yet has a strong identity, both in the guests section and in the underground infrastructure for administrative areas, due to functional spaces being perfectly integrated in the topography of the hilly landscape.
The large 2,000 sq.m. spa and wellness area overlooks the surrounding forest to create a superb quality, sheltered and private interior and exterior spaces. The restaurant, conference rooms and some parts of the wellness center open onto the lake and enjoy an incredible panoramic view.
For the renovation of the historic Feuerstein Arena skating rink in Schierke (2017) at the foot of the Harz Mountains in Saxony-Anhalt, the studio received a special mention in the category Excellent Communications Design Architecture at the German Design Awards 2019. The jury of the prestigious German awards was impressed by the exceptional quality of the project and particularly the sculptural roof. The unique, curvilinear roof of the arena in fact has a dual benefit. It protects the sports structure from the weather enabling activities to continue and is a distinctive feature and new landmark for Schierke".
Together with Marianne Birthler, GRAFT curated the German pavilion at the 16th Venice Architecture Biennale (2018) with an exhibition entitled "Unbuilding Walls". The exhibition addresses the current debate in respect of nations, border protection and internal and external divisions.
Numerous awards presented to the practice include the European Prize for Architecture in 2011.
GRAFT selected works and projects
- Complesso residenziale Wohnem Am Speicher, Oranienburg (Germania), 2020 (previsto)
- Padiglione tedesco EXPO 2020, Dubai (UAE), 2018
- Seezeitlodge Hotel & Spa, Bostalsee (Germania), 2017
- Ristrutturazione Ice Stadium Feuerstein Arena, Schierke (Germania), 2017
- Show Palace, Monaco di Baviera (Germania), 2017
- Complesso residenziale Bricks, Berlino (Germania), 2017
- Nation Museum for Urban Contemporary Art, Berlino (Germania), 2017
- Villa M, Berlino (Germania), 2017
- Complesso residenziale Charlie Living, Berlino (Germania), 2016
- Complesso residenziale Templiner Park, Berlino (Germania), 2016
- Brlo Brwhouse, Berlino (Germania), 2016
- Heinemann Abu Dhabi (UAE), 2015
- Residenza unifamiliare Holistic Living, Berlino (Germania), 2014
- Ostello della gioventù (progetto), Monaco di Baviera (Germania), 2014
- Riconversione del Terminal D dell'Aeroporto di Berlino-Tegel nell'edificio polifunzionale "Urban Tech Republic", Berlino (Germania), 2013
- Autostadt Roof and Service Pavillion, Wolfsburg (Germania), 2013
- Platoon Kunsthalle, Berlino (Germania), 2012
- City Center, Las Vegas (USA), 2010
- Gingko Bacchus Restaurant, Chengdu (Cina), 2009
- MIR shotgun house, New Orleans (USA), 2009
- Brand Restaurant Monte Carlo Casinò, Las Vegas (USA), 2008
- DC Shoes Store, Los Angeles (USA), 2008
- Kinderdentist Dr. Mokabberi, Berlino (Germania), 2008
- Dental Lounge, Dusseldorf (Germania), 2008
- Birds Island, Kuala Lumpur (Malesia), 2007
- Opticon, Eyewear Store, Amburgo (Germania), 2007
- DC Shoes Retail Store, New York (USA), 2004
- Hotel Q, Berlino (Germania), 2004
- FIX ristorante, Casinò Bellagio, Las Vegas (USA), 2003
- Panorama Towers, Las Vegas (USA), 2003
Related Articles: GRAFT
Floornature is media partner of an interesting exhibition underway at the Graphics Museum in Pisa....
Architect Jean-Pierre Lott designed Le Stella in the historic centre and shopping district of the...