Buildings awarded Governor General's Medals in Canada
The medals are awarded by the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (Institut royal d’architecture du Canada) and the Canada Council for the Arts every two years to celebrate outstanding design in recently completed projects by Canadian architects.
The judges awarded the medal to 12 projects acknowledged as key catalysts of connection and interest for users, promoters of major changes in the contexts in which they stand. Buildings that make the most of the existing structures around them and promote innovative programmes; buildings that are considered an expression of Canada’s multi-ethnic culture and spirit of "bringing people together".
The awards ceremony will be held on September 20 2016 in Ottawa, at Rideau Hall, the official residence of the Governor General of Canada.
The award-winning projects are:
- Amphithéâtre Cogeco, Trois-Rivières, architect Paul Laurendeau
- BC Passive House Factory, Vancouver, Hemsworth Architecture
- Bridgepoint Active Healthcare, Toronto, Stantec Architecture / KPMB Architects (Planning, Design and Compliance Architects), HDR Architecture / Diamond Schmitt Architects (Design, Build, Finance and Maintain Architects)
- Glacier Skywalk, Jasper, Sturgess Architecture
- Halifax Central Library, Halifax, Fowler Bauld & Mitchell Ltd. / schmidt hammer lassen architects
- Nathan Phillips Square Revitalization, Toronto, PLANT Architect Inc. in joint venture with Perkins + Will Canada (formerly Shore Tilbe Irwin & Partners Inc.)
- Regent Park Aquatic Centre, Toronto, MacLennan Jaunkalns Miller Architects (MJMA)
- Ronald McDonald House BC & Yukon, Vancouver, MGA | Michael Green Architecture
- The Head Office of Caisse Desjardins de Lévis, Lévis, ABCP architecture / Anne Carrier architecture
- University of Manitoba ARTlab, Winnipeg, Patkau Architects Inc. / LM Architectural Group
- Wong Dai Sin Temple, Markham, Shim-Sutcliffe Architects Inc.
- Wood Innovation and Design Centre, Prince George, MGA | Michael Green Architecture
Images courtesy of RAIC - IRAC