"Europe 40under40®" is a programme promoted by the European Centre for Architecture Art Design and Urban Studies and by The Chicago Athenaeum: Museum of Architecture and Design which, every year, selects 40 European architects and designers under the age of 40. Independent professionals, who have completed specific projects playing the role of lead designers or architects. An award that looks to the future, in search of emerging figures in the field of architecture and design who best represent the European architectural scene.
Registration is now open for 2021 applications and, just recently, the 40 winning professionals of the 2020 edition of the Award were announced. The winners were selected by a jury of experts made up of architects and professors from the Department of Architecture of the Czech Technical University (CTU) in Prague (Luboš Knytl, Marco Maio, Jan Šabart and Lenka Popelová).
The challenges associated with the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic have not, in fact, hampered the annual edition of this award, aimed at the new generation of architects, landscape architects, urban planners and industrial designers who, with their designs and projects, will have an impact on our future living and working environments, both in cities and in rural areas. The exhibition of the winning projects, entitled "40 Young European Architects with New Visions" will be held in Athens (Greece) starting in November 2021 at theEuropean Centre for Architecture Art Design and Urban Studies.
The list of talented winners, who come from 12 different countries, builds a diverse picture of the European architectural and design scene. Italy's excellence in the architectural world was recognised through the selection of 4 winners: Matteo Defendini from the Defendini Architects studio, Danilo Petta from the Mask Architects studio, Peter Pichler from the Peter Pichler Architecture studio and Paolo Uboldi from the UP-A Uboldi Paolo Architetti studio.
Architect Matteo Defendini, one of the youngest winners, was recognised for an international project, the "Sunflower" school complex built in Tanzania. A project integrated into the local context and consisting of a flower-shaped school for 350 children, that inspired the name of the campus, and other facilities such as student dormitories and faculty residences.
Architect Danilo Petta from the Mask Architects studio was recognised as an emerging and innovative talent for his design of luxury watches such as the collections entitled "Astronomia Sky", "Astronomia Solar" and "Astronomia Table-Clock" designed for the Jacob & Co brand from 2015 to 2018.
Well-integrated and sustainable architectures with strong ties to the local culture and history of the places in which they have been built: the key elements that distinguish the projects completed by architect Peter Pichler from the Peter Pichler Architecture studio. His projects include the new Hotel Milla Montis built in Maranza, in the province of Bolzano and opened in October 2020, one of the projects that earned the architect a well-deserved spot among the 40 winners.
Finally, architect Paolo Uboldi from the UP-A Uboldi Paolo Architetti firm, selected for the renovation project of a historic factory in Settimo Torinese, in the Piedmont region, Factory 1895 by Lavazza. The architect helped transform Lavazza’s coffee production site into a place open to the public who, through a unique and engaging experience, is thus able to understand the entire coffee production cycle, from the bean to the cup.
Images courtesy of European Centre for Architecture Art Design and Urban Studies
WINNERS' LIST for the 2020 "Europe 40 Under 40®"
1. Bastien Beguier, Baíto Architects - France
2. Valentin Bernard, LA SODA - France
3. Pierre Janin, FABRIQUES architectures paysages - France
4. Djamel Kara, Ropa&Associes Architectes - France
5. Hélène Latour, LA SODA - France
6. Sébastien Magrez, Atelier MIMA - France
7. Nicolas Mallet, Mallet Morales - France
8. Antoine Michaud, Atelier MIMA - France
9. Clement Miglierina, elua® - France
10. Guillaume Ramillien, Guillaume Ramillien Architecture - France
11. Yvain Renard, Architecture Office Yvain RENARD - France
12. Diego Romero, DEMAIN architecture paysage - France
13. Benjamin Van Den Bulcke, BVA / ATP - France
14. Illiana Kerestetzi, mold architects - Greece
15. Mado Samiou, Mado Samiou Architecture - Greece
16. Tamás Deilinger, Group Dyer – Hungary/United Kingdom
17. Balázs Domokos, Group Dyer - Hungary
18. Matteo Defendini, DEFENDINI ARCHITECTS - Italy
19. Danilo Petta, Danilo Petta - Mask Architects - Italy
20. Peter Pichler, Peter Pichler Architecture - Italy
21. Paolo Uboldi, UP-A Uboldi Paolo Architetti srl - Italy
22. Mateusz Górnik, Gornik Architects - Poland
23. Andrzej Truszczyński ,TKHolding - Poland
24. Maria João Andrade, MJARC arquitectos lda - Portugal
25. Darius Reznek, Karres en Brands - Romania
26. Sebastian Nagy, sebastian nagy architects, s.r.o - Slovakia
27. Jorge Cobo Susperregui, COBO Architecture - Spain
28. Miguel Crespo Picot, Zooco Estudio - Spain
29. Javier Guzmán Benito, Zooco Estudio - Spain
30. Enrique Jerez, Jerez Arquitectos - Spain
31. Sixto Martín Martínez, Zooco Estudio - Spain
32. Jordi Pimas Megias, studio1984 – Spain/France
33. Julius Taminiau, Julius Taminiau Architects - The Netherlands
34. Robbert Jan Van Der Veen, ECHO Urban Design - The Netherlands
35. Ant Vervoort, Frankie Pappas International - The Netherlands
36. Emre Açar, ACARARCH - Turkey
37. Kemal Serkan Demir, Office Istanbul Architects - Turkey
38. Mennan Elmacı, Elmaci Architects – Turkey
39. Burak Pekoglu, BINAA, Building INnovation Arts Architecture - Turkey
40. Chloe Humphreys, The Landscape Studio - United Kingdom