Dutch architect Frits van Dongen (1946) began working with Kas Oosterhuis (1951) after graduating from the University of Technology in Delft in 1980; the two went on to work on important publications and projects together.
In 1985 he founded Van Dongen Architekten in Delft; the Natal complex in Rotterdam was the first of a series of large-scale residential projects which, along with the masterplans, remained a distinguishing feature of his thirty years' production.
Three years later he founded Architekten Cie
with Carel Weeber, Pi de Bruijn and Jan Dirk Peereboom Voller, the studio he continues to work with.
His projects include the design of The Whale (2000), a housing development in the Amsterdam docklands inspired by the water that surrounds it. With its rhythmic cadence and an internal area almost like a public park, this “sea” of low buildings (more than 200 homes of various types and offices) underlines and redefines the concept of the closed block and represents one of the most important urban redevelopment projects since the turn of the millennium.
Another very important project is Funen, a major housing complex in Amsterdam (305 apartments, 3000 m² of office space and underground parking) built in a former industrial zone, a “garden city” combining landscape development with living solutions in a high density neighbourhood in an original and complex way.
Other major projects include the De Landtong residential and commercial development in Rotterdam (1998); urban development of IJburg artificial island in Amsterdam (1999); and the Cap Gemini office towers in Utrecht (2004).
Van Dongen has also built famous musical and cultural facilities such as the Heineken Music Hall (2001), Amsterdam Conservatory (2007) and the Philharmonic Concert Hall in Haarlem (2006).
In 2006 the Royal Institute of Architects of the Netherlands (BNA) presented him with the Kubus Award.
Van Dongen has also pursued a long and prestigious academic career, teaching at several universities including Universitat Internacional de Catalunya in Barcelona.
Frits van Dongen selected works and projects
- Progetto Block A5 Gangnam District, Seul (Corea del Sud), 2013
- Edificio polifunzionale Ypenburg 19 Couperus, L’Aia (Paesi Bassi), 2012
- Progetto masterplan Toronto waterfront, Toronto (Canada), 2010
- Progetto edificio Social Affairs and Employment (SoZaWe), Groningen (Paesi Bassi), 2009
- Progetto di riqualifica della Stazione Sloterdijk, Amsterdam
- 24 residenze, Bosrijk, Eindhoven (Paesi Bassi), 2008
- Conservatorio di Amsterdam (Paesi Bassi), 2007
- Spazio shopping centre, Zoetermeer (Paesi Bassi), 2006
- Filarmonica Concert Hall, Haarlem (Paesi Bassi), 2006
- Complesso residenziale Funen, Amsterdam (Paesi Bassi), 2005
- Uffici Cap Gemini, Utrecht (Paesi Bassi), 2004
- Progetto edificio The Cultural Green Heart, L’Aia (Paesi Bassi)
- Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam-Zuidoost (Paesi Bassi), 2001
- Cinema multisala Pathé-ArenaA, Amsterdam-Zuidoost (Paesi Bassi), 2000
- Complesso residenziale Batavia, Amsterdam (Paesi Bassi), 2000
- Complesso residenziale The Whale, Amsterdam (Paesi Bassi), 2000
- Masterplan per Haveneiland, IJburg, Amsterdam (Paesi Bassi), 1999
- Complesso residenziale De Landtong, Rotterdam (Paesi Bassi), 1998
- Appartamenti Delfts Blue, Delft (Paesi Bassi), 1998
- Teatro e sala concerti De Harmonie, Leeuwarden (Paesi Bassi), 1994
Official web site