The planning of the project took some time: the first drawings date from 1929, while the executive plans are dated 1932, the year construction work began. Surviving drawings and abundant written, photographic and filmed documentation made restoration an easy task, permitting reconstruction of the atmosphere in which the Sonneveld family lived.
Sonneveld House has a reinforced concrete load-bearing structure: this construction technique, which was highly advanced for its day, makes load-bearing walls superfluous, permitting greater freedom in the arrangement of interior spaces and windows and doors onto the outside.
Bands of windows run the length of the front and back walls of the house; large windows and doors onto the garden and an abundance of patios allow air and light to circulate freely in the house and promote use of outdoor spaces, in perfect response to the "hygienic" demands of the "modern" lifestyle.
The house is structured on three levels.
The ground floor houses the garage, the servants' apartment and the study of Mr. Sonneveld's two daughters.
On the first floor, in an open space which may be divided by sliding doors, are the living room, library and dining room, directly connected with the kitchen.
On the second floor are the bedrooms of the four family members, with two bathrooms, a guest room with its own bathroom and two patios.