A large staircase takes visitors to a hall lit up from the side and from above and then to a dark gallery set up as a didactic museum route with panels, models and portraits. This takes visitors to the case in which the Ara stands with the Res Gestae tablets.
In the central pavilion, the Ara Pacis is flooded with light from the skylights and filtering glass during the day. This solution required assembly of more than 1500 m2 of tempered glass plates measuring up to three by five metres, ensuring that the pavilion does not feel enclosed and guaranteeing maximum visibility.Travertine marks the entire perimeter of the building and the two terraces, one of which will be planted with a garden.
The museum is completed by a 150 seat conference room, a museum-shop and an underground office area.
Laura Della Badia