- Adam D. Tihany
Adam D. Tihany
One of the best-known contemporary interior designers in contract design, Adam D. Tihany (1948) was born in Transylvania and grew up in Israel. After graduating from the Politecnico di Milano he served a series of apprenticeships in Europe, and moved to New York in 1976, where he opened his multi-disciplinary practice in 1978. He works in every design sector including interior design for commercial and residential projects, and the production of furnishings, fittings and graphics.
In the early Eighties he designed New York’s first grand café, La Coupole, for which Tihany was admitted to the Interior Design Hall of Fame in 1991.
Since then, Tihany Design has specialized in hospitality design, in particular for top class restaurants, and created guest rooms, suites, cafés, meeting rooms, spas and fitness centers. Notable projects in Las Vegas include the Mandarin Hotel, in addition to the Aleph in Rome, One & Only in Cape Town, Westin Chosun in Seoul and Four Seasons Resorts in Dubai.
Tihany has designed many of the world’s most luxurious restaurants including At.Mosphere in Dubai on the 122nd floor of the world’s tallest skyscraper, 442 meters above ground level, which set a Guinness World Record due to its location.
Remi was his first foray into the world of fine dining. The Manhattan restaurant opened in the mid-Eighties, taking Italian cuisine, particularly Venetian, to the highest level. Other notable projects include the Aureole and La Fonda del Sol in New York, Oro at the Hotel Cipriani in Venice and the prestigious refurbishment of the Oberoi Hotel in New Delhi and Beverly Hills Hotel, Los Angeles.
Between 2014 and 2016 Tihany Design worked for the Four Seasons Hotel and Resorts on the Group’s first hotels in Dubai, located on Jumeirah Beach Road and in the heart of Dubai’s International Financial Center respectively. The practice created 3 innovative interior designs for the Jumeirah Beach resort.
The first, the Suq restaurant, was conceived "to reflect an open-air food market, and features a long corridor with market stalls under a vaulted ceiling". The Sea Fu is an outdoor lounge and bar area serving the adjacent swimming pool during the day which transforms into a fine dining restaurant in the evening. Mercury is a roof-top lounge bar, designed as a sphere on a raised mosaic platform.
Designed specifically for international business travelers, Tihany’s second location in Dubai offers a high quality ambiance, with 106 rooms and suites, sky bar and cigar bar. Characterized by the utmost attention to detail, the building is located in the heart of the city’s extensive financial district.
More recently Tihany Design was behind the refurbishment of the spa in the historic five-star luxury hotel Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London (1899). Frequented by stars from the world of film, politics and the jet-set, the hotel re-opened at the beginning of 2019 after several years of work behind the scenes.
Tihany was one of the first designers to collaborate with renowned chefs such as Thomas Keller, Heston Blumenthal, Daniel Boulud and Wolfgang Puck.
As he has stated in numerous interviews, Tihany does not consider himself representative of any particular “style”, rather his design perspective is oriented towards his clients’ “specific requirements and personalities”. He is therefore careful to avoid any repetition, fully customizing the ultra-luxurious rooms he creates.
Tihany has designed product lines for renowned companies including Pace Collection and McGuire, Villeroy & Boch and Schönwald China, in addition to hardware for Valli & Valli, lighting for Lucifer and Baldinger and linens for Frette. His longstanding association with Christofle has resulted in Collection 3000, urban flatware and K + T Hollowware designed with Thomas Keller. He worked with Poltrona Frau to create the Stanley Chair, which debuted in the Company’s Spring 2016 home theater collection.
Adam Tihany selected works and projects
- Mandarin Hotel, Pechino (Cina), 2019
- Amber, Landmark Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
- Ristrutturazione Oberoi Hotel, Nuova Delhi (India)
- Four Seasons International Financial Centre, Dubai, 2016
- Four Seasons Resort Dubai, Jumeirah Beach (Dubai), 2014
- Ristorante Oro, Hotel Cipriani, Venezia (Italia)
- Hotel Aleph: stanze, suites e Spa, Roma (Italia)
- The Joule Hotel: stanze, suites, meeting room e Spa, Dallas (USA)
- Mandarin Oriental: stanze, suites, meeting room, ballroom e Spa, Las Vegas (USA), 2009
- The Beverly Hills Hotel: stanze, suites, polo lounge, cafè, Beverly Hills (USA)
- The Westin Chosun: meeting room, Spa e fitness, Seul (Corea del Sud), 2008
- Bar e ristorante Agua, Cabo San Lucas (Messico)
- Ristorante At.Mosphere, Burj Khalifa (Dubai)
- Mostra Grand Hotel Salone, Milano (Italia), 2002
- Ristorante Aureole, New York (USA)
- Ristorante World Summit Wing, Pechino (Cina)
- Ristorante Saffron, Atlantis, The Palm (Dubai)
- Ristorante La Fonda del Sol, New York (USA)
- Ristorante Sirio, Las Vegas (USA)
- One&Only: stanze, suites, fitness e Spa, Città del Capo (Sudafrica)
- Ristorante Comme Ca - Cosmopolitan Resort & Casino, Las Vegas (USA)
- Ristorante La Coupole, New York (USA), 1981
In only a few months, everything has changed completely. Even the world of architecture. In search...
The Panorama Architecture firm designed the renovation and extension project of a structure built...
Museums, foundations and galleries are finally reopening to the public following the lockdown due...