- Boris Podrecca
Podrecca continued teaching throughout the eighties and held professorships in several universities (Lausanne, Paris, Philadelphia, Paris, London, Cambridge and Stuttgart).
In the first half of the nineties he directed the International Architecture Seminar in Vienna.
He has also worked on numerous theme exhibitions revealing his analysis of artistic transfiguration: particularly the exhibition on Carlo Scarpa in Venice (1984), the travelling exhibition Joze Plecnik Architecte (1986) and above all the 1000 Jahre Österreich - Die Donau or One Thousand Years of Austria exhibition (1996).
Podrecca’s work in architecture stands out for the multitude of projects he has built, above all in Vienna, the centre of Mitteleuropean culture, where very diverse historic, ethnic and social elements have been layered one over the other through the centuries.
In comparing these different styles and cultures, Podrecca reveals a synthesis of design that takes into account the theories and writings of architects and urban planners including Semper, Plecnik and Fabiani, among others.
Going beyond the possible historicism of the models he refers to, Podrecca gives prominence to form in his work, to perfection of technical detail, to layout and direct relationship with environment. These aspects are particularly clear in his designs for public spaces and plazas (such as Leoben, Salzburg, Stuttgart and Trieste), where Podrecca re-establishes the dimension of the city path.
In all his projects, new architecture interacts with existing constructions to achieve solutions that are always ideal for their context and environment.
Projects of particular significance include the school on Dirmhirngasse in Vienna (1991-1994), which has a transparent walkway connecting the old and new buildings, “La Basilese” insurance offices in Vienna and the landmark Millennium Tower in the same city.
Boris Podrecca selected works and projects
- Neuer Platz, Klagenfurt (Austria), 2008
- Pariser Platz, Stuttgart (Germany), 2005
- Mestni Trg, Idrija (Slovenia), 2005
- Piazza Vittorio Veneto, Trieste (Italy), 2004
- Installation for the Joze Plecnik exhibition, Stadtmuseum Graz (Austria), 2003
- Restoration of the Modern Art Museum, Ca’ Pesaro, Venezia (Italy), 2002
- Parco di Teodorico, Ravenna (Italia) 2000
- Millennium Tower, Vienna (Austria), 1999
- Installation for the exhibition Mastering the City - 100 years of urban planning in Europe, Nai, Rotterdam (the Netherlands), 1997
- City Hall Square, Sankt Pölten (Austria), 1996
- Installation for the exhibition 1000 Jahre Österreich - Die Donau - Eine Reise Schottenstift, Vienna (Austria), 1996
- Stakorovec Castle (Croatia), 1998
- Municipal library, Biberbach (Germany), 1995
- School, Dirmhirngasse, Vienna (Austria), 1994
- Kapellenweg housing development, Vienna-Donaustadt (Austria), 1993
- Historic town centre and Piazza XXIV Maggio, Cormons (Italy), 1990
- Piazza Tartini, Piran (Slovenia), 1989
- Kika department store, Klagenfurt (Austria), 1989
Related Articles: Hans Stimmann
Related Articles: Boris Podrecca
most viewed architects
June 15 saw the inauguration of a new project by David Chipperfield Architects: the headquarters of...
In the seventies, Fondazione Iris drew the public’s attention to the issue of pollution with an...
A refined building that fits peacefully into its unique natural setting and offers an apparently...